Define your targeting, budget, schedule, bidding and placement.
Understanding and mastering how to build strategic ad sets get you in front of very specific and often motivated segments of your audience.
CREATING AD SETS
You can create ad sets from the actions button in the campaigns view and start defining the parameters.
In this window, you can define the name, labels, budget, and duration of your ad set.
- Title - Name your ad set. To make it easy for yourself and your colleagues, we suggest naming it in accordance with your target audience and/or your time period.
- Facebook Page - Choose the channel you want to promote for.
- Campaign Labels - Labels already assigned to your Campaign will automatically appear here.
- Labels - Assign labels specific to your ad set.
- Budget - Define the maximum amount you want to spend for your ad set. Choose from a daily budget or a lifetime budget.
- Duration - Set your schedule so your ad will either run continuously starting today or within a date range you select.
Set up Smart Labels, which will automatically enable advanced promotions for organic posts without requiring you or your team to be ads specialists. Read about this unique-to-Falcon automation feature right here.
- Age and Gender - Set targeting parameters for a specific age range.
- Geography - Set targeting parameters for specific geo-locations.
- Custom Audience - If you have created custom audiences, you can include or exclude them from your targeting (this option is only available in the Advanced View).
- Languages - Define the languages that your audience uses on Facebook (this option is only available in the Advanced View).
- Detailed targeting - Further specify your target audience by their demographics, interests, and behaviour.
- Exclude from targeting - Exclude users with specific demographics, interests, and behaviour.
- Fans - Choosing one of your channels here will target the Ad Set to the users who liked the Facebook page.
- Friends of fans - The Ad Set will target friends of fans of the chosen channel.
- Non-fans - If you select a channel here, the Ad Set will exclude fans of that channel from the target audience.
Pro tip: Create a separate ad set for each audience (for example, Males 18–24, Custom Audiences, Lookalike Audiences, etc.). Setting a different audience for each ad set minimizes your ad sets from competing against each other.
- Devices - Choose if your ad should be displayed on desktop or mobile, or both.
- Platforms - Choose on which channels and specifications you would like to run your ads.
Depending on the chosen Campaign Objective, there are various options available in the Pricing section.
- Bid Strategy - There's three options to choose from:
1. Lowest cost: Aims to get you the lowest cost per Optimization Goal event, while spending within your set daily or lifetime budget.
2. Lowest cost with cap: In addition to the above, you can add a maximum amount to spend per Optimization Goal event.
3. Target cost: Facebook will spend within a 10% difference from the amount you set.
Find out more about Bid Strategies here.
- Optimization Goal - This tells Facebook what you want to achieve with your promotion. Their algorithms will optimize the delivery to get you the best result for the lowest cost. For example, if you optimize for Link Clicks, Facebook will target those users that are most likely to click the link in your ad.
- Conversion Window - If you choose Offsite Conversions as the Optimization Goal, you can set the Conversion Window. This will tell Facebook if you expect users to complete the conversion cycle within a day, or if they rather tend to complete it within a week.
- When You Get Charged - This determines when you pay for your ad. For many Optimization Goals, you'll pay each time your ad is served to a user (i.e. per Impression). Some optimization goals allow you choose other events, such as Link Clicks or 10-second Video Views.
MANAGING AD SETS
The table below the Statistics graph lists all of your ad sets. Use the Actions button to the right of an ad set you are working with in order to:
- Play / Pause - Set the campaign live by selecting Play or stop it by selecting Pause.
- Filter by this - Quickly jump into the ads in this ad set.
- Open in Ads Manager - View the ad set natively on Facebook's Ad Manager.
- Settings - Change the options that define the campaign parameters. This is where you can edit and add labels for the ad set.
The statistics section will give you an overview of the performance of your ad sets. You can apply various filters, search for labels, and change the date range in order to customize your view. Read the following article on insights and analytics within Advertise.