Editor’s note: This post was originally published in 2018 and has been updated for comprehensiveness.
You don’t need to be told how important your social media images are.
In fact, a recent survey found that more than 70% of businesses will rely heavily on visuals as part of their marketing strategy. The volume and quality of the social media images your brand needs to compete against just keep rising in 2021, too.
That’s why we put together the latest, most up-to-date social media image sizes in this handy guide.
We’ll be listing all the best image sizes for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, and Tik Tok below—and on top of that, we’ve made a set of free, downloadable Photoshop templates for you (get them at the bottom of this article.)
So, here are the ideal image sizes to use on social media in 2021:
And if you’re looking for more info on social media header image sizes, see How to Choose the Perfect Social Media Cover Photo.
Still the world’s most popular network, Facebook has been becoming more and more visual in character, as well as increasingly geared for mobile.
It’s still a ‘social’ social network at heart, so professional users are advised to avoid going too commercial or product-driven with imagery. Instead, aim to convey the human side of your brand – and, as with all the networks here, use the best resolution possible and shoot for the optimal Facebook post dimensions.
Recommended Facebook image sizes for 2021:
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 820 x 312
- Facebook link image size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook image post size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook highlighted image size: 1200 x 717
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1005
- Facebook group cover image size: 1640 x 856
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720
- Maximum Facebook video length: 240 minutes
- Facebook image ad size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook video ad size: 1080 x 1350 (ratio 4:5), at least 1080 x 1080, ratios from 16:9 to 9:16 are also supported
- Facebook Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
- Facebook messenger image ad size: 1200 x 628
The attention span of the audience is extremely short on social, so try to keep Facebook videos as short as possible. While the maximum video length is 240 minutes, Facebook recommends keeping them as short as 15 seconds.
A visual network from its inception, Instagram is where marketers can indulge their inner photog and filmmaker. Instagram Stories are catching all the attention lately, but you can still easily win eyeballs with static imagery—one tip here is to employ filters.
Be sure to make use of the three orientations available (square, landscape, and portrait) and compose your photos accordingly. Bear in mind though that this variety also makes using the right Instagram post dimensions crucial.
Recommended Instagram image sizes for 2021:
- Instagram profile picture size: 110 x 110
- Instagram photo sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square), 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Instagram Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Recommended Instagram video sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square) 1080 x 567 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Carousel posts & ads: 1080 x 1080 (square) recommended, 1080 x 566 (landscape) and 1080 x 1350 (portrait) are also supported, can be video or static image
- Maximum Instagram video length: 60 seconds
- Instagram photo thumbnails: 161 x 161
- Instagram ads size: 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1080 (square)
- Instagram IGTV video size: 1080 x 1920
- IGTV Cover Photo Size: 420 x 654
- Instagram Reels: 1080 x 1920
We recommend using square and vertical formats when posting on Facebook and Instagram (both organic and paid). Why? Because this maximizes the space you take up in the feeds as most people use their phones to browse through these channels.
Gone are the days when your pithy observations were enough to get you noticed on Twitter. Tweets with images get retweeted 150% more than those without. Here you need striking images to stand out in a fast-moving newsfeed. Easy-to-read but information-packed infographics are one visual tactic brands can use to increase engagement.
Recommended Twitter image sizes for 2021:
- Twitter profile picture size: 400 x 400
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter post image size: 1200 x 675
- Minimum Twitter card image size: 120 x 120
- Twitter video size: 1280 x 1084
- Maximum Twitter video length: 140 seconds
- Twitter image size for ads: 800 x 418 (Website card), 800 x 800 (App card image), 800 x 800 (Carousels), 800 x 418 (Direct Message card), 800 x 418 (Conversation card)
- Twitter ad size (video): 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait) Length: 12 seconds or less (recommended), 2 minutes and 20 seconds (maximum)
- Video Thumbnail Image – 640 x 360 (minimum), should match the size of the video (recommended)
- Twitter image sizes for fleets: 1080 x 1920
Many companies make the mistake that LinkedIn is the bland professional network where your profiles don’t need the wow factor of the others. While it’s true that brand fidelity and clarity are the most important elements here, a beautifully turned-out LinkedIn profile is an invaluable asset and calling card for your brand.
Aim for polished, maximum resolution pictures. If recruitment is a goal, use your image real estate to show off your company’s best side.
Recommended LinkedIn image sizes for 2021:
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover photo size: 1128 x 191
- LinkedIn Dynamic Ads size: 100 x 100 (company logo)
- LinkedIn Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn Life tab main image size: 1128 x 376
- LinkedIn Business Banner image: 646 x 220
- LinkedIn image sizes for blog post link images: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn Stories image size: 1080 x 1920
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn background photo size: 1584 x 396
- LinkedIn post image size: 1200 x 1200 (square) 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- LinkedIn link post size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn video size: 256 x 144 (minimum) to 4096 x 2304 (maximum)
- Maximum LinkedIn video length: 10 minutes
Psst… guess what? We’ve made a set of free and downloadable Cheat Sheets and Photoshop templates for you at the bottom of this article!
Since 2019, YouTube has been the second most popular social media channel for businesses to share video content. Marketers need to meet the video requirements to perform well on this channel now, more than ever. While the resolution and length of the video are quite (extremely) important, you also need to pay heed to tiny details like the size of your profile picture, channel cover picture, and so on to capture the attention of the audience from the time they land on your YouTube page.
Recommended Youtube image sizes for 2021:
- YouTube profile photo size: 800 x 800
- YouTube Channel cover picture: 2560 x 1440 (desktop) and 1546 x 423 (smartphones)
- YouTube thumbnail size: 1280 x 720
- YouTube Display ads: 300 x 250
- YouTube Overlay ads: 480 x 60
- YouTube Companion banner ads: 300 x 250
- YouTube Skippable video ads length: 12 seconds to 6 minutes
- YouTube Non-skippable video ads length: 15 or 20 seconds (depends on region)
- YouTube Bumper video ads length: 6 seconds
- YouTube Standard video: Minimum dimension is 426 x 240. Max dimension is 3840 x 2160, aspect ratio 16:9
Pinterest is all about visuals. Around 355 million people use Pinterest every month to discover trends and find inspiration. When it comes to Pinterest images, you need to think verticals as this format is designed to fit tall images rather than wide ones.
Recommended Pinterest image sizes for 2021:
- Pinterest Profile picture: 165 x 165
- Pinterest Board Display image: 222 x 150
- Pinterest Standard Pin size: Vertical images 1000 x 1500
- Pinterest Video specs: square (1:1) or vertical (2:3, 9:16) Length: Maximum 30 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted Video: square (1:1) or widescreen (16:9) Length: Maximum 30 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted carousels: 2-5 images per carousel, aspect ratio: 1:1 or 2:3, 1000×1000 or 1000×1500
- Pinterest Story Pins image size: 1080 x 1920
- Pinterest Story Pins video length: 1-60 seconds
Tik Tok is the latest video-sharing app that people are going after. Not just people, brands have jumped on the bandwagon too to engage and reach new audience. While there aren’t many options or formats to upload videos on Tik Tok, brands need to be aware of the basics before experimenting with the app.
Recommended Tik Tok image sizes for 2021:
- TikTok Video: 1080 x 1920, maximum 15 seconds recommended.
- TikTok Profile photo: 200 x 200
- TikTok in-feed video ad length: 9 to 15 seconds suggested, 5 to 60 seconds allowed
- TikTok in-feed ad video aspect ratio: 9:16, 1:1, or 16:9.
- TikTok in-feed ad display image size: 1:1 ratio
Get templates for the best social media image sizes to use in 2021
Want to save yourself some time and hassle on your favorite social networks? Then download the Photoshop templates below.
Think of these templates as cheat sheets to help you take the guesswork out of sizing your images for social media. Using them will ensure that your images are optimally displayed, without unwanted cropping or resolution issues.
Each features the social media image sizes we recommend for each of the most popular networks. You can download them all in a single .zip file by following the link below.
As a bonus, we have extra details on recommended and minimum social media image sizes as a pdf in the .zip file, too.
Once you have the .zip file, simply upload the included .psd files to Photoshop. From there it is just a matter of dropping the image you want to be sized into the appropriate template field. Cheers!