You don’t need to be told how important your social media images are.
In fact, a recent survey found that 36% of marketers plan to spend over a third of their budget purely on visual content. The volume and quality of the social media images your brand needs to compete against just keep rising in 2020, too.
That’s why we put together the latest, most up-to-date social media image sizes in this handy guide.
We’ll be listing all the best image sizes for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest, and Tik Tok below—and on top of that, we’ve made a set of free, downloadable Photoshop templates for you (get them at the bottom of this article.)
So, here are the ideal image sizes to use on social media in 2020:
And if you’re looking for more info on social media header image sizes, see How to Choose the Perfect Social Media Cover Photo.
Still the world’s most popular network, Facebook has been becoming more and more visual in character, as well as increasingly geared for mobile.
It’s still a ‘social’ social network at heart, so professional users are advised to avoid going too commercial or product-driven with imagery. Instead, aim to convey the human side of your brand – and, as with all the networks here, use the best resolution possible and shoot for the optimal Facebook post dimensions.
Recommended Facebook image sizes for 2020:
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 820 x 462
- Facebook link image size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook image post size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1080
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720
- Maximum Facebook video length: 240 minutes
- Facebook ad size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook video ad size: 1280 x 720
- Facebook Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
- Facebook group cover image size: 1640 x 922
- Facebook messenger image ad size: 1200 x 628
The attention span of the audience is extremely short on social, so try to keep Facebook videos as short as possible. While the maximum video length is 240 minutes, Facebook recommends keeping them as short as 15 seconds.
A visual network from its inception, Instagram is where marketers can indulge their inner photog and filmmaker. Instagram Stories are catching all the attention lately, but you can still easily win eyeballs with static imagery—one tip here is to employ filters.
Be sure to make use of the three orientations available (square, landscape, and portrait) and compose your photos accordingly. Bear in mind though that this variety also makes using the right Instagram post dimensions crucial.
Recommended Instagram image sizes for 2020:
- Instagram profile picture size: 110 x 110
- Instagram photo sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square), 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Instagram Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Minimum Instagram video sizes: 600 x 600 (square), 600 x 315 (landscape), 600 x 750 (portrait), 600 x 700 (Carousel video dimensions)
- Maximum Instagram video length: 60 seconds
- Minimum Instagram image ad size: 500 pixels wide
- Instagram photo thumbnails: 161 x 161
- Instagram ads size: 1080 x 566 pixels (landscape), 1080 x 1080 pixels (square)
- Instagram IGTV video size: 1080 x 1920
We recommend using square and vertical formats when posting on Facebook and Instagram (both organic and paid). Why? Because this maximizes the space you take up in the feeds as most people use their phone to browse through these channels.
Gone are the days when your pithy observations were enough to get you noticed on Twitter. Tweets with images get retweeted 150% more than those without. Here you need striking images to stand out in a fast-moving newsfeed. Easy-to-read but information-packed infographics are one visual tactic brands can use to increase engagement.
Recommended Twitter image sizes for 2020:
- Twitter profile picture size: 400 x 400
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter post image size: 1024 x 512
- Twitter card image size: 1200 x 628
- Twitter video size: 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
- Maximum Twitter video length: 140 seconds
- Twitter ad size (image): 800 x 428
- Twitter ad size (video): 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
Many companies make the mistake that LinkedIn is the bland professional network where your profiles don’t need the wow factor of the others. While it’s true that brand fidelity and clarity are the most important elements here, a beautifully turned-out LinkedIn profile is an invaluable asset and calling card for your brand.
Aim for polished, maximum resolution pictures. If recruitment is a goal, use your image real estate to show off your company’s best side.
Recommended LinkedIn image sizes for 2020:
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover photo size: 1536 x 768
- LinkedIn Dynamic Ads size: 100 x 100 (company logo)
- LinkedIn Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn Hero image size: 1128 x 376
- LinkedIn Business Banner image: 646 x 220
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn background photo size: 1584 x 396
- LinkedIn post image size: 1200 x 1200 (desktop) 1200 x 628 (mobile)
- LinkedIn link post size: 1200 x 628
- LinkedIn video size: 256 x 144 (minimum) to 4096 x 2304 (maximum)
- Maximum LinkedIn video length: 10 minutes
Since 2019, YouTube has been the second most popular social media channel for businesses to share video content. Marketers need to meet the video requirements to perform well on this channel now, more than ever. While the resolution and length of the video are quite (extremely) important, you also need to pay heed to tiny details like the size of your profile picture, channel cover picture, and so on to capture the attention of the audience from the time they land on your YouTube page.
Recommended Youtube image sizes for 2020:
- YouTube Channel cover picture: 2560 x 1440 pixels (desktop) and 1546 x 423 pixels (smartphones)
- YouTube Display ads: 300 x 250
- YouTube Overlay ads: 480 x 60
- YouTube Companion banner ads: 300 x 250 pixels
- YouTube Skippable video ads length: 6 – 20 seconds
- YouTube Non-skippable video ads length: 12 seconds to 3 minutes (30 seconds is recommended)
- YouTube Bumper video ads length: 6 seconds
- YouTube Standard video: 1280 x 760 pixels
Pinterest is all about visuals. Around 250 million people use Pinterest every month to discover trends and find inspiration. When it comes to Pinterest images, you need to think verticals as this format is designed to fit tall images rather than wide ones.
Recommended Pinterest image sizes for 2020:
- Pinterest Profile picture: 165 x 165
- Pinterest Board Display image: 222 x 150
- Pinterest Standard Pin size: Vertical images 1000 x 1500
- Pinterest Video specs: square (1:1) or vertical (2:3, 9:16) Length: Minimum 4 seconds, maximum 15 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted Video: square (1:1) or widescreen (16:9) Length: Minimum 4 seconds, maximum 15 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted carousels: 2-5 images per carousel, aspect ratio: 1:1 or 2:3
Tik Tok is the latest video sharing app that people are going after. Not just people, brands have jumped on the bandwagon too to engage and reach new audience. While there aren’t many options or formats to upload videos on Tik Tok, brands need to be aware of the basics before experimenting with the app.
Recommended Tik Tok image sizes for 2020:
- Tik Tok Video length: 1080 x 1920, maximum 15 seconds recommended.
- Tik Tok Profile photo 200 x 200
Get templates for the best social media image sizes to use in 2020
Want to save yourself some time and hassle on your favorite social networks? Then download the Photoshop templates below.
Think of these templates as cheat sheets to help you take the guesswork out of sizing your images for social media. Using them will ensure that your images are optimally displayed, without unwanted cropping or resolution issues.
Each features the social media image sizes we recommend for each of the most popular networks. You can download them all in a single .zip file by following the link below.
As a bonus, we have extra details on recommended and minimum social media image sizes as a pdf in the .zip file, too.
Once you have the .zip file, simply upload the included .psd files to Photoshop. From there it is just a matter of dropping the image you want to be sized into the appropriate template field. Cheers!