You don’t need to be told how important your social media imagery is.
In fact, a recent survey found that 36% of marketers plan to spend over a third of their budget purely on visual content. The volume and quality of the social media images your brand needs to compete against just keep rising in 2018, too.
That’s why we put together the latest, most up-to-date social media image sizes in this handy guide.
We’ll list all the recommended image sizes for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn in the article itself—and on top of that, we’ve made a set of free, downloadable Photoshop templates for you.
Think of these templates as cheat sheets to help you take the guesswork out of sizing your images for social media. Using them will ensure that your images are optimally displayed, without unwanted cropping or resolution issues.
Each features the social media image sizes we recommend for each of the most popular networks. You can download them all in a single .zip file by following the link at the bottom.
As a bonus, we have extra details on recommended and minimum social media image sizes as a pdf in the .zip file, too.
Once you have the .zip file, simply upload the included .psd files to Photoshop. From there it is just a matter of dropping the image you want to be sized into the appropriate template field.
So without further ado, here are the ideal image sizes to use on social media in 2018 (with templates available in the sidebar and at the bottom):
Still the world’s most popular network, Facebook has been becoming more and more visual in character, as well as increasingly geared for mobile.
It’s still a ‘social’ social network at heart, so professional users are advised to avoid going too commercial or product-driven with imagery. Instead, aim to convey the human side of your brand – and, as with all the networks here, use the best resolution possible.
Optimal Facebook image sizes for 2018:
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 851 x 315
- Facebook link image size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook image post size: 1200 x 900
- Facebook highlighted image size: 1200 x 717
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1080
- Facebook native video size: 1280 x 720
- Maximum Facebook video length: 240 minutes
- Facebook ad size: 1280 x 628
- Facebook video ad size: 1280 x 720
- Facebook Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
A visual network from its inception, Instagram is where marketers can indulge their inner photog and filmmaker. Instagram Stories are catching all the attention lately, but you can still easily win eyeballs with static imagery—one tip here is to employ filters.
Be sure to make use of the three orientations available (square, landscape and portrait) and compose your photos accordingly. Bear in mind though that this variety also makes the correct sizing crucial.
Optimal Instagram image sizes for 2018:
- Instagram profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Instagram photo sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square), 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Instagram Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Minimum Instagram video sizes: 600 x 600 (square), 600 x 315 (landscape), 600 x 750 (portrait)
- Maximum Instagram video length: 60 seconds
- Minimum Instagram image ad size: 500 pixels wide
Gone are the days when your pithy observations were enough to get you noticed on Twitter. Tweets with images get retweeted 150% more than those without. Here you need striking images to stand out in a fast-moving newsfeed. Easy-to-read but information-packed infographics are one visual tactic brands can use to increase engagement.
Optimal Twitter image sizes for 2018:
- Twitter profile picture size: 150 x 150
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter photo size: 1024 x 512
- Twitter card image size: 1200 x 628
- Twitter video size: 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
- Maximum Twitter video length: 140 seconds
- Twitter image ad size: 1200 x 675
- Twitter video ad size: 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait)
Many companies make the mistake that LinkedIn is the bland professional network where your profiles don’t need the wow factor of the others. While it’s true that brand fidelity and clarity are the most important elements here, a beautifully turned-out LinkedIn profile is an invaluable asset and calling card for your brand.
Aim for polished, maximum resolution pictures. If recruitment is a goal, use your image real estate to show off your company’s best side.
Optimal LinkedIn image sizes for 2018:
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover image size: 1536 x 768
- LinkedIn Dynamic Ads size: 100 x 100 (company logo)
- LinkedIn Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 628
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn background photo size: 1584 x 396
- LinkedIn image post size: 1200 x 1200 (desktop) 1200 x 628 (mobile)
- LinkedIn link post size: 1200 x 628
- LinkedIn video size: 256 x 144 (minimum) to 4096 x 2304 (maximum)
- Maximum LinkedIn video length: 10 minutes
Get even more visual with your brand in 2018
Want to save yourself some time and hassle on your favorite social networks? Then download the Photoshop templates below.