By Lasse Lund

February 2nd, 2016

Word-of-mouth has always been an important aspect of a successful business, but in today’s digital marketplace it is absolutely critical. The discussions that used to take place around the family dinner table, at club meetings, or in the breakroom at work are now splashed across websites and social media networks for everyone to see. If a customer has a problem with your product or service, the world is going to hear about it. However, on the flip side, social media also has the power to amplify positive messages and help brands reach new audiences.

Customer feedback often appears in two forms online: review platforms and social media networks. In general, when you share your opinion on a review site you are leaving feedback for those you don’t know. However, when you post an update on social, it’s a different story because you’re sharing with friends and those who follow you because they are interested in what you have to say.

Understanding how to navigate these two mediums is crucial to success, so we partnered with Trustpilot, a worldwide review-platform leader, to share insights and advice from both perspectives.

Jordan and Jillian shared a wealth of information in the 45-minute webinar and I highly recommend you check out the entire thing. However, if you’re pressed for time, I’ve assembled three key takeaways for you to keep in mind:

#1 – Increase positive feedback just by asking

Jordan shared a potentially game-changing statistic during the webinar – brands that ask their customers for a review saw 83% of respondents give positive feedback. Comparatively, if customers were left to review on their own, the split was 50/50 for negative to positive reviews. Your customers are ready to support you…all you have to do is ask.

Asking for positive reviews online

#2 – Authenticity is essential

With the rise of social media, marketing has become a two-way conversation between brand and customer. This means that the traditional marketing copy doesn’t resonate the same way anymore. Consumers want brands to be more authentic.

According to Sara Axelrod, “63% of people wish brands treated them like a friend rather than a consumer. The remaining 37% would probably prefer that brands treat them like a human being rather than a click or conversion.”

Brands that work to resolve the negative online feedback are sure to win loyal customers, and those people are likely to share their experience with their networks – everyone wins! But being authentic doesn’t always mean that you immediately give the customer everything they want. A great example of authentic customer engagement took place just last week:

dive-bar-yelp-review

IMAGE: FLICKR, JAZZ GUY, YELP

When a customer submitted a one-star review of The Iron Horse bar in New York City, the owner took the time to find out a little more about what the issue was and who exactly they were speaking with before crafting their response:

Read the rest of their response here

The owner stayed true to themselves and the business they had built, which resulted in a huge outpouring of support and a ton of earned media. Authenticity won the day.

#3 – Capitalize on your competition’s inability to listen

Too few brands take advantage of out-listening their competition on social media. Jillian briefly shared a story about Dave Kerpen, author of the best-selling book Likeable Social Media, and the time he took a trip to Las Vegas. When the Aria hotel left him waiting in line for over an hour to check into his room, naturally he tweeted about it. 

One of Aria’s competitors, the Rio, used keen social listening and outflanked Aria on Twitter, a move that caught Dave’s attention and ultimately led to $10,000 in revenue.

Don’t miss the rest

In order to properly channel customer feedback to build trust and ultimately increase conversion, marketers need to tap into the powerful blend of social listening and reviews, both for insights into their customers’ experiences and for opportunities to engage.

We’ve only scratched the surface of the webinar content in this article. Check out the webinar recording for even more helpful tips, powerful examples, and in-depth explanations about how to incorporate social listening and online review into your marketing strategy.

How to build customer trust and increase conversion

Channel Customer Feedback to Increase Conversion.

Watch the video
close

Please fill out the form below to watch the webinar.

close

Thank you

You will be redirected to the webinar recording momentarily.

Get insights that matter

delivered straight to your inbox.

I want to receive insights about:

close [X]

Recommended for you