Marketers love to talk about marketing. And if you like to listen to it, then these are the podcasts for you.
We polled our colleagues, friends, and other marketing pros to get their recommendations for the must-hear social media podcasts. These include niche, tactical podcasts, more general marketing shows, and peripheral digital and tech podcasts with substance for social marketers.
So, charge up your headphones, take a listen, and enjoy!
Besides being hilarious, Reply All goes deep into internet sub-cultures and tech explainers. Social media managers will gain a deeper understanding of how the weird pockets of the internet function and how to fit in with the “extremely online” crowd.
- The Snapchat Thief. What happens when one person’s Snapchat gets hacked — and how she got it back.
- We Didn’t Start the Fire. A recurring segment on the show called, “Yes, Yes, No” pits the hosts and show producers against each other to see who can understand — and explain — the most niche and obscure tweets.
- Long Distance. Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be a telephone scammer? The hosts of Reply All respond to a scam call by going directly to the source.
2. The Digital Marketing Podcast with Ciaran Rogers and Daniel Rowles
This weekly podcast explores practical topics for digital marketers of all sorts, plus industry news, trends, and expert interviews.
The short episodes make it easy to listen-in and learn something quickly. And with over nine years of episodes, you’re bound to find one that talks about what you want to know.
- Custom Audiences and Retargeting. If you’re running paid campaigns on any of your social channels, this is a great source for finding new ways to customize your audiences and make your campaigns more efficient.
- Personalized Marketing. One of the biggest trends (or buzzwords, depending on your perspective) this year is personalization. This takes a broader look at why and when marketers should personalize content.
- Social Media Process & Planning. Perhaps a bit entry-level, this nevertheless covers topics near and dear to our hearts and social marketers.
3. Perpetual Traffic with Ralph Burns and Molly Pittman
A podcast all about paid marketing. Super niche, super in-depth, super relevant if you’re putting any budget behind your posts.
If you’re running ads, Perpetual Traffic keeps you informed of updates on the various ad networks, industry news and trends, and helpful explainers.
- Facebook Advertising: What’s Working Now. A look at what’s currently working on Facebook and Instagram, plus a preview of new features.
- 2 Facebook Ad Critiques with Ralph Burns. It always helps to hear about examples of ads that work — and why.
- Top Facebook and Instagram Predictions for 2019. A bit outdated, perhaps, but it’s worth going back in time (so to speak) to see exactly how the industry has changed.
4. Recode Decode with Kara Swisher
An interview podcast hosted by a Silicon Valley journalist that focuses on tech, business, and culture.
Zoom out of the social media minutiae by understanding the motivations behind some of the leaders that are shaping the tech and media industries.
- Twitter’s Kayvon Beykpour and Vijaya Gadde. Twitter’s product and safety leads, respectively, talk about the platform, the future of civility, and meeting President Trump.
- YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki talks about child safety, the Google walkout, and AI. The title basically says it all — the junction of tech and ethics, from a woman who’s seen it all.
- Shoshana Zuboff: Surveillance capitalism is eroding democracy. In a post GDPR world, this episode is essential for marketers who use any sort of targeting in their work… so all marketers.
If reading is more your thing, then we recommend checking out our list of the 15 marketing books that every social media manager should read in 2019.
5. Pop Culture Happy Hour with Linda Holmes
NPR’s podcast on everything pop-culture offers bite-size reviews of what’s going on in film, tv, books, music, and more. With three episodes a week, you’ll always be in tune with the zeitgeist.
If you’re in charge of creating content, it’s important to stay up-to-date on your audience’s media consumption. Use pop culture to spice up your content by throwing in references to fan favorites.
- ‘Game Of Thrones’ Comes To An End. If you never got into GoT (see what we did there?) you can cheat your way through the endless dragon references with this handy wrap up.
- People We’re Pulling For. These regular episodes highlight new and memorable performers and creators who deserve some extra recognition.
- The Doc And Foreign-Language Oscar Noms: How To Watch, And What You Need To Know. Impress your friends and your followers with your deep knowledge of all the Oscar films no one else watched.
6. Behind the Numbers
A daily look at the latest issues in digital marketing and social media, with frequent guest hosts and industry experts.
Behind the Numbers looks at the broader impact of social media on society, our individual lives, and within our legal systems.
- The Weekly Listen. Every Friday, Behind the Numbers looks back at the biggest and/or most interesting stories from the week.
- Why Everyone Wants Personalization, but Nobody’s Getting It. A hot take on a cold topic — one of the oldest words in marketing gets a deeper look.
- Why Diversity and Inclusion Matter, in More Ways than One. A dive into a Pew Research study on how men and women are represented in social posts, and why it matters.
7. Maximize Your Social with Neal Schaffer
Neal is a world-renowned digital marketing and social media strategist, speaker and author—not to mention a two-time Forbes Top 50 Social Media Power Influencer and Top 5 Social Sales Influencer. His podcast covers all the bases of social media, from high-level strategy to simple tips & tricks to influencer marketing.
Maximize Your Social focuses on the bottom line: how social marketing – including influencer marketing, social selling, employee advocacy, and more – can impact revenue targets. Neal was also a keynote speaker at our Spark ‘18 digital marketing conference where he spoke about the power of influencer marketing.
- The (Social Media) Marketing Trends You Need to Understand Today. Neal interviews Matt Navarra about the biggest changes to social in the last year and his predictions for the next twelve months.
- Wake Up Call: It’s Time for Social Media Marketing 2.0. As social media passes its 10-year anniversary, Neal looks around and asks why brands are still so bad at it.
- How to Create Your Own Instagram Followers Policy to Increase Your Community and Gain More Engagement. The title says it all – this is a hugely important but little-discussed aspect of social marketing.
8. Marketing Over Coffee with John J. Wall and Christopher S. Penn
What it says on the (coffee) can, Marketing Over Coffee is recorded in coffee shops every week and published on Thursdays. It’s about marketing in general, but regularly covers social media topics.
Each short episode covers a topic you might already be chatting about with your colleagues — it’s just that in this case the colleagues are marketing heavyweights like Seth Godin, Simon Sinek, and Ann Hadley.
- Live from Poland! The hosts travel to Poland for the Facebook F8 conference on the pivot to “Private Social.”
- Now With More Mansplaining! What marketers should be thinking about when it comes to AI. Plus, a discussion on mansplaining and the pink tax.
- Ron Ploof on The Proverb Effect. A fun look at the intersection of marketing and linguistics.
Also see: our interview with the “Godfather of Content Marketing” himself, Joe Pulizzi.
9. The Art of Paid Traffic with Rick Mulready
Short episodes that focus on one niche aspect of (usually) paid marketing, often with guests who are in the nitty-gritty of online advertising.
A popular one with our social media advertising specialists, The Art of Paid Traffic is not just for the hands-on social media advertising pros out there. Anyone entering the sometimes-daunting social ads space would do well to tune in.
- Quick Tip: Which Conversion Window Should You Choose for Your FB/IG Ads? Rick’s Quick Tip series delivers actionable advice to help you make your marketing more efficient.
- Case Study: 3 Facebook Messenger Campaigns That Are Crushing It. A great look at how a small business uses messenger campaigns to drive sales.
- The Facebook Ads Hack That’s Generating $22 for Every $1 Spent with Daniel Daines-Hutt. Some cool tips for optimizing your Facebook campaigns to improve your ROI.
10. Social Pros with Jay Baer and Adam Brown
Inside stories and behind-the-scenes secrets about how big companies staff, operate, and measure their social media programs.
A long-time podcast mainstay of many, Social Pros is co-hosted by marketing legend Jay Baer. Jay’s clout gets him some high-brow guests, making these podcasts a window into the best and latest social media thought leadership.
- How to Use Big Data and Personalization to Dominate Instagram Commerce. An inside look at how hyper targeting works on social, with Oz Etzioni, the CEO and Co-founder at Clinch.
- 6 Social Media Changes Impacting 2019 (So Far). The title says it all — who doesn’t like a list?
- Facebook Lost 15 Million Users, What Now? A pragmatic look at the stumbles of the social giant that is Facebook.
11. Social Media Marketing with Michael Stelzner
A weekly, 45-minute show all about social media marketing. What more can you ask for?
A veritable content machine, Social Media Examiner pumps out a quality podcast every week along with a live talk show to complement its popular blog. The podcasts are hosted by founder Michael Stelzner, with a long list of marketing celebrity guests.
- Advanced Facebook Retargeting: How to Up Your Ads Game. A look at some of the most common mistakes marketers make with FB ad targeting, and some tips for how to stand out from the crowd.
- How to Avoid Distraction as a Marketer. Dealing with social media addiction… as a social media marketer.
- Google Data Studio: How Marketers Can Build Powerful Dashboards. If you run a great campaign, but can’t visualize the results, would you notice?
12. The Marketing Companion Podcast with Mark Schaefer & Tom Webster
The “most entertaining marketing podcast” as it styles itself, certainly does bring the funny and insightful in buckets. The Marketing Companion has been running for over six years.
This podcast nicely straddles the line between entertaining and informative — no lectures or pedantic “motivational” speeches — just a good show for people who know marketing.
- Mukbang and Monetization: New Digital Marketing Trends. A funny intro to some of the weirder internet trends.
- Social media shakeout: Why the future of social media is hazy. Mark looks at the emerging trends in social media and decides the future is… unclear.
- Mind-bending social media trends. Mark tries to answer questions like, “Why are there more websites in Portuguese and Polish than Chinese?”
Recommended by social media marketers like you
Above are 12 of the best social media podcasts as recommended by people from around the industry.
So, kick back and soak up some insights from some of the sharpest minds (and tongues) in social media.