In this day and age, we all know that advertising and social media must go hand in hand if your brand wants to see any type of success—and if you want to run digital ads, you need to keep up with the latest social media marketing statistics.
No longer are the days where you could get away with posting a couple of banner ads and hope for the best—brands need to connect with their audiences in a way that’s only possible through social media marketing.
With that said, social media is an ever-changing entity and marketers need to be constantly updated if they want to achieve the results they’re looking for.
To help all you social media marketers out there keep up with the latest trends, we’ve compiled a list of the 29 most important statistics on the top social networks (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter) so that you know how to approach the rest of 2018 with a winning strategy.
Facebook marketing statistics for 2018
Despite facing criticism earlier this year over the handling of the private information of its users, Facebook still ended the first quarter of 2018 with an increase in revenue made from advertising and is showing no signs of slowing down.
Facebook is still the leader in social media and brands shouldn’t make the mistake of glossing over it when building their marketing strategies.
Keep on reading to see the key Facebook marketing statistics regarding the social media giant:
1. Although Facebook has grown in terms of advertising revenue, it’s important to note that the portion of Americans aged 12 years and older using Facebook has declined from 67% to 62%.
2. With that said, about 68% of American adults report that they are Facebook users and about three-quarters of those users access Facebook on a daily basis.
3. The average number of daily active users for March 2018 was 1.45 billion, which is a 13% increase since the year before.
4. 91% of all Facebook ad revenue was brought in solely through mobile in Q1 of 2018.
5. Facebook brought in $11.8 billion in the first quarter of 2018, compared to $7.9 billion in the same time last year.
6. 93% of marketers use Facebook advertising regularly, which translates to about 3 million businesses that use Facebook for marketing.
7. On average, the best time to post on Facebook is between 1-3pm, when you are more likely to get a lot of clicks and comments on your content and the best days to post are on Thursdays and Fridays. User engagement is at an overall high on Fridays, especially for brands, and Thursdays come in at a close second.
Instagram marketing statistics for 2018
The social networking platform designed specifically for sharing photos and videos has experienced major growth in popularity over the last few years. These days it should be a staple in every marketer’s social media plan, especially if they are targeting younger age groups.
Take a look at these Instagram marketing stats below to gain a better understanding:
1. 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile each day.
2. There are over 25 million business profiles on Instagram.
3. Over 80% of accounts on Instagram follow a business.
4. The best day to post on Instagram is Wednesday and the best time is at 2 am (seriously). This is because you don’t have to deal with as much competition from other brands when you’re posting at such a late time, giving you an opportunity to garner more attention.
5. 18-24 is the largest age group on Instagram. 14.8% of global active users are women between the ages of 18-24 and 16% are men between the ages of 18-24.
6. 60% of internet users with an annual income of $100,000 or more use Instagram.
7. The number of influencer marketing posts on Instagram doubled to over 1.5 million in 2017 and continues to grow.
8. Posts by influencers generate significantly more engagement than posts by brands.
9. The two industries that partner with Instagram influencers the most are fashion and accessories.
LinkedIn marketing statistics for 2018
LinkedIn is the largest network of professionals and provides ample opportunities for brands looking to focus their marketing efforts on a more business-oriented customer base.
Despite its demographics being different than most other social networks, it continues to grow and should be taken seriously by social media marketers.
Take a look at some marketing statistics regarding LinkedIn’s growth and popularity:
1. Around 50% of Americans with a college degree use LinkedIn, compared to only 9% of those with a high school diploma or less.
2. The number of users on LinkedIn is just above half a billion.
3. LinkedIn’s largest age group is 25- to 29-year-olds. The next-most-popular age group is 30- to 49-year-olds.
4. LinkedIn is the only social network where men and women are equally represented.
5. The countries with the most LinkedIn users: United States, India, China, and Brazil.
6. The best times to post on LinkedIn are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 12 pm. Traffic on LinkedIn peaks at lunchtime during the workweek and slows down after work and on the weekends.
Twitter marketing statistics for 2018
The social networking giant and news aggregation site that allows users to tell the world how they feel in 280 characters or less is still going strong.
With that in mind, brands should be doing what they can to capitalize off the network.
Despite being around for some time now, Twitter is still widely popular and all types of companies have profiles on the network to inform users about their products or services.
Here are some quick stats to fill you in on why Twitter marketing is still just as relevant as ever:
1. Twitter has about 336 million monthly active users.
2. Twitter brought in $575 million in advertising revenue in their first quarter of 2018.
3. Total engagements with ads on Twitter have increased by 69% since last year.
4. Cost per engagement on Twitter ads has decreased by 28% since 2017.
5. Video accounts for more than half of Twitter’s ad revenue and was the fastest growing ad format in the first quarter of 2018.
6. B2B tweets perform 16% better during business hours while B2C tweets perform 17% better during the weekends.
7. The best time to tweet to maximize exposure on LinkedIn is at noon or 5-6pm and the best days to tweet are Wednesdays and Thursdays. This is especially true if you are in the B2B realm.
Social media has been with us for some time now and is showing clear evidence that it’s not planning on stopping anytime soon.
Remember to sit down with your marketing team quarterly to study current trends and statistics relevant to your strategy.
Make the mistake of assuming that social media stays the same and your brand will, unfortunately, get left behind.