The last decade saw social media revolutionize the way we do business. Social media marketing now plays an integral role in the success of any company. With that in mind, here are 35 social media statistics showcasing the state of the world’s largest forum in 2020.
Some will no doubt surprise, but all can be taken as inspiration for your social media marketing strategy this year and beyond.
General social media statistics
1. As of November 2019, the world population stands at 7.7 billion people!
2. 4.33 billion people have access to the internet, which is more than 50% of people on earth.
3. Of these, 3.499 billion are active social media users.
4. To break it down by generation, 90.4% millennials, 77.5% Gen X, and 48.2% Baby Boomers are active social media users.
5. The average time spent on social media is 144 minutes per day.
6. Active social media users have increased by 202 million between April 2018 and April 2019.
7. 69% of teenagers think social media helps them interact with a more diverse group of people.
Social media statistics for businesses
8. 91% of retail brands use two or more social media channels.
10. It was found that 71% of consumers who have had a positive experience with a brand on social media are likely to recommend the brand to others.
11. 33% of consumers would rather contact a brand/company via social media than by telephone.
12. 85.8% of marketers do not have a specific budget for influencer marketing.
13. Whatsapp is the most popular global mobile messager app with 1.6 billion active users.
14. 54% of people use social media to research products.
15. 130 million Instagram users tap on shopping posts every month.
16. TikTok was the most downloaded social media app in September 2019.
17. 80% would rather watch a brand’s live video than read a blog.
Social media statistics on advertising
18. Advertising spend on social media overtook print media for the first time this year. According to Zenith’s Advertising Expenditure Forecast spending on social media will jump 20% to $84 billion this year.
20. 31.6% of consumers made their first purchase from a D2C brand via ads on social media.
Social media statistics on channels
21. The breakdown of Millenials viewing stories on Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook is 68%, 49%, and 44% respectively.
22. 200 million users visit at least one business profile per day on Instagram.
23. About 30% of the tweets that mention brands do not use their Twitter handles.
24. 87.8% of marketers do not use IGTV for their brands.
25. People who saw the In-Stream Video Ads on Twitter were 70% more likely to recall the brand’s ad.
26. 85% of women use Pinterest to plan small or big life moments, compared to Facebook (53%) and Instagram (44%.).
27. 46% percent of the social media traffic to B2B company sites comes from LinkedIn.
29. 68% of U.S. adults get their news from social media.
30. LinkedIn is the only social network where men and women are equally represented.
Unmetric analyzed the performance of over 200 B2C brands on social media in Q3 2019 and here are some of the key findings:
31. The Average Reply Time on Facebook by brands was 1 day 9 hours and 39 minutes.
32. Brands posted an average of two times a day on Instagram.
33. Videos made up 25% of brand posts on Facebook 24% of brand posts on Instagram.
34. 27% of the total number of brand posts were promoted on Facebook.
35. The average number of users a brand follows on Twitter is 14K.
I hope these social media statistics help you refine your social media strategy and perform better on social. The goal here is to get your business geared up for 2020 as social media is only going to get bigger and better.
If you need more intel on how your brand/business stacks up against your competitors, what your share of voice is in the industry, and so on, feel free to sign up for a demo with Unmetric.
Now a part of Falcon.io, the Unmetric platform tracks what over 100,000 brands are saying on social media (with up to seven years of historical data available) as well as how audiences are reacting to it. Clients use Unmetric to help them create better content, get more certainty around their social media strategy, and automate all their reporting.
You can see more about Falcon and Unmetric here.